Re: Information Schema and constraint names not

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Information Schema and constraint names not
Date: 2003-11-08 02:46:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 02:59 AM 8/11/2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>These are mutually exclusive --- I see no reason to do both.

Not sure that's true; we've taken te design decision to make allow
user-defined constraint names to be non-unique. Given that, I think we
should allow people who fall into the trap to be able to use the info
schemas to get details of their constraints. So, adding enough detail about
the constraint to uniquely identify it, even if it is a user-created one,
seems essential.

=> Adding table identification info to constraint details in the info
schema is necessary.

I don't agree that using OIDs to in constraint names is bad; the table name
will be misleading when tables are renamed, and encourage use of internal
data (PG_* tables) when info schemas should do the job for most people. I
think we're confusing a presentation issue with an internal design issue.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \