Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: "Anthony W(dot) Youngman" <thewolery(at)nospam(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL
Date: 2003-10-20 20:50:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In article <bn0j82$1gnm$1(at)gazette(dot)almaden(dot)ibm(dot)com>, Paul Vernon
<paul(dot)vernon(at)ukk(dot)ibmm(dot)comm> writes
>No, I think Anthony is just saying that he doesn't "believe" in science/the
>scientific method. Or maybe he believes that engineering is not based on
>scientific knowledge!

Actually, I *DO* believe in the Scientific Method.

I just fail to see the connection between Scientific Method and
Relational. The former is Science, the latter is Maths. Please tell me
how I can use relational theory to predict the future. Without that,
relational is unprovable, and hence unscientific.

Note I didn't say relational is *incorrect* - the ideas of
"mathematically correct" and "scientifically provable" are orthogonal,
and have nothing to say about each other.

Cheers,
Wol
Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett