Documents Database - HELP

From: "Christo Romberg" <coromberg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Documents Database - HELP
Date: 2006-06-21 14:51:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi!

I'm interested in creating a document database for my personal documents. I
use different operating systems (UNIX/Linux, Windows XP). Using PostgreSQL,
Apache HTTP Server, and PHP I could create a cross-platform solution.
I'm a newbie to PostgreSQL, web servers, and PHP and would really need some
help and guidelines for getting this done. That's why I'm writing You
brilliant guys this e-mail =)!

HERE ARE THE DESIRED FEATURES:
The document database (with the files) would mainly be based on an external
hard drive. I have two computers that would be the "clients", and the
external harddrive would be the "server". I'd like to store the files in the
filesystem on the external drive, and therefore be able to edit the content
of the files.
I'd like to access and manage the files through a web interface. When I'd
connect
the hard drive through an USB-port, the "frontpage" would appear in one of
the "clients" web browsers.
To add new records/files to the documents database, I would use different
forms depending on the information type (not the extension of the file) of
the document.
A very important feature would also be to browse the content of the database
(the files). I would like to use the values from a category coulmn from
within the database. to view the files in an hierarchical tree.
The database would also have to be capable of deleting records from the
database. When you'd delete a record you could choose to also delete the
file in the filesystem. Updating a record would in the future also be
neccessary.
A search function would be necessery in the nearest future, with the ability
to search in different fields.

TECHNLOGIES AND SOFTWARE:
First off, what software and technologies would I need? I already know that
I would want to use the PostgreSQL database to store information/metadata
about the files in different fields.
I´ve heard that you can store the PATH to a file in the filesystem with
PostgreSQL. Does anyone know how it can be done (eg. what data type to use)?
. I would also like to be able to create different metadata schemas/tables
to classify different documents. When adding a new record (document) to the
database you could choose which one to use.
I would probably need a web server of some kind. I've tested the
Apache HTTP Server, and it seems very good.
I'd probably need the PHP language to write the pages and letting the user
(me) to create, view, modify, delete etc. records in the database.
Would I need something else?

Any guidelines and help would be very much appreciatet. Perhaps some example
scripts..
Those of you who have any suggestions or ideas, please reply!

THANKS FOR READING THIS!!!

BEST Regards,
Christo

PS. Sorry for my bad english:-P