Re: Help on PostgreSQL

From: "Tomas Vondra" <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Sarma Chavali" <cbssarma(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Help on PostgreSQL
Date: 2011-10-10 15:29:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10 Říjen 2011, 16:50, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:57:42PM +0100, Sarma Chavali wrote:
>> Could you please help us to find answers to the following questions?
>> 1.What version of PostgreSQL is stable at the moment for production?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ -> shows latest release 9.1.1.

9.1 is really fresh, so if you're really conservative you may use 9.0
branch instead. That's about 1 year old.

>> 3.What are all best third party tools that we can use for development
>> and
>> administration?
>
> this I can't help with. for administration I use psql, and for
> development vim.

There are several useful tools I'm aware of - pgadmin (a nice GUI for
development / administration), phpPgAdmin (a web GUI), utilities like
pgfounine for analyzing slow queries, pgwatch for monitoring etc.

I know there were some GUI tools from EMS (http://www.sqlmanager.net) and
TOra (http://torasql.com). I guess there are other tools.

>> 4.What is the best way of resolving the issues or queries?
>
> what kind of issues/queries?
>
> if you have a problem, the simplest, and usually fastest way is to ask
> on irc on channel #postgresql on irc.freenode.net

That depends - if you're looking for help from other community members,
IRC or one of these mailing lists is probably the right place. If you're
looking for support (paid), there are companies that provide such
services.

regards
Tomas