Re: PostgreSQL won't start

From: "Lee Hachadoorian" <lee(dot)hachadoorian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL won't start
Date: 2008-03-12 18:22:32
Lists: pgsql-general

It was far stupider than that. I had been playing around with a
couple of different data clusters before doing a complete reinstall of
PostgreSQL. I just realized I was trying to start a cluster that I
was no longer using and the postgres account didn't have appropriate
permissions for. It's one of those things where once you ask the
question, you realize that the answer is implicit in the question.

But a useful followup question is, how do I make this start itself
when Windows starts? The service is set up to run as postgres and
execute

"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\pg_ctl.exe" runservice -w -N
"pgsql-8.3" -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\"

This *is* pointing to the right data cluster (which I'm able to start
successfully from the command line), but it's not starting
automatically (even though it's configured to) and when I try to start
it manually within the Component Services Manager, it generates the
following error:

Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.

Thanks,
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD Student, Geography
Program in Earth & Environmental Sciences
CUNY Graduate Center