PostgreSQL won't start

From: "Lee Hachadoorian" <lee(dot)hachadoorian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL won't start
Date: 2008-03-12 17:49:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Last week I set up Postgres 8.3 on a WindowsXP machine. Had it up and
running and imported data. Now when I try to start the server (after
a machine restart) I get the message:

pg_ctl: another server might be running; trying to start server anyway
PANIC: could not open control file "global/pg_control": Permission denied

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
server starting

In the archives I've seen suggestions to make sure to start using the
postgres account (I am), make sure postgres is configured as a service
(it is), and make sure global/pg_control and the rest of the
PostgreSQL directory has read/write access (it does). What else can I
try to start the server?

Thanks,
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD Student, Geography
Program in Earth & Environmental Sciences
CUNY Graduate Center