Savepoints in PgAdmin

From: DUPREZ Cédric <cedric(dot)duprez(at)ifn(dot)fr>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Savepoints in PgAdmin
Date: 2009-08-20 14:16:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

I am using PgAdmin 1.10.0 with Postgresql 8.3.7 on Windows XP Pro (SP3).

The problem I am facing deals with savepoint and rollback management in PgAdmin.

I initiate a transaction, then I run different queries, create a savepoint :

begin;

CREATE temp TABLE toto (id int);

INSERT INTO toto VALUES (1);

SAVEPOINT my_save;

Then, I execute a wrong query :

SELECT * FROM tot;

I get an error message :

ERROR: relation "toto" does not exist

********** Erreur **********

ERROR: relation "toto" does not exist
État SQL :42P01

But I can't rollback to my savepoint, because a complete rollback has already been executed by PgAdmin :

rollback TO my_save;

ERROR: ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT can only be used in transaction blocks

ERROR: ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT can only be used in transaction blocks
État SQL :25P01

This problem seems to come from the fact that PgAdmin executes code in a single transaction statement...

How is it possible to create different transaction statements within PgAdmin, in order to use savepoints ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

C. Duprez