Authentication in batch processing

From: Hal Lynch <hal(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Authentication in batch processing
Date: 2002-05-02 16:33:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have postgres set up to require usernames and passwords for access.

The following script works just fine in 7.1.2 without manual
intervention. Using 7.2.1 psql issues a password prompt and
blocks until a password is manually entered.

#######################################
#!/bin/sh

psql mydb <<\__EOD__
mypassword
create table mytable
(
ssn char(9),
name char(50)
);
__EOD__

For several years now I have been using scripts like the above
to drop and create 14 databases, and create and populate ~100
tables on a nightly basis. I need this or something like it
to work.

As always I assume I am doing dumb.

Can someone help?

hal