Re: PGCluster-II Progress

From: <mitani(at)sraw(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGCluster-II Progress
Date: 2009-09-18 01:13:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm sorry for late my response.
I already sent same contents to Marcos, but I did not cc to all of yours.
(I'll join pgsql-hackers ML).

1. Statement of PGCluster-II
The state of PGCluster-II is re designing.
I developed and demonstorated PGCluster-II as full data shared model in 2006.
It worked fine.
However, perfomance point of view, it was not good at all.
Then, I improved it in 2007. Even so, it was absurdly slow.

I think that it was required redesigning to improve performanse.
The full data shread model is not difficult to build up (I developed the 1st PGCluster-II within 2 weeks),
but it is not easy to improve performanse.
Then, I chose partial data shared model as my conclusion.
I spend two years to decide it.

2. Prospects of PGCluster-II
Currentry, I'm developing the cluster server management tools as a part of the latest PGCluster.
It will be upcoming release.
After that, I will be back to the PGCluster-II project.

On comming Nov. 19, The International PostgreSQL Cluster Developper's Meeting (I'm not sure the proper name) will be held in Tokyo.
I'll discuss about a task of PGCluster-II as a part of PostgreSQL's cluster project at the meeting.
Clustering is getting more important each day.
I'm expecting that PGCluster & PGCluster-II play a role in the solution.

Best regards,
At.Mitani