Re: Function parameter names

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function parameter names
Date: 2003-11-25 20:40:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org> writes:
> and the identifier x (as all identifiers) can not be too long. Still, one
> can create the function and update the system table by hand to change x to
> a longer name. Doesn't that sound ugly to you?

It has always been, and likely always will be, possible to use manual
updating of the system catalogs to arrive at states that you could not
get into otherwise, and which might or might not work "correctly", for
whatever value of "correctly" you think is correct. This doesn't
particularly bother me, since we have always told people that manual
updates are unsupported and are strictly for people who know exactly
what they're doing.

If it really bugs you, possibly the column could be declared as
"varchar(NAMEDATALEN-1)[]" rather than "text[]", but I think the amount
of effort needed to make that happen within the .bki file would be well
out of proportion to the usefulness. (Actually, it'd still not be 100%
right, since varchar(N) counts characters not bytes ...)