Re: hstore improvements?

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hstore improvements?
Date: 2009-03-19 21:40:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Le 19 mars 09 à 21:23, Josh Berkus a écrit :
>> One request I've had is to construct a record (of some supplied
>> composite type) from an hstore.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is even possible; I'm certainly not seeing a way
>> to implement it. Am I missing something?
>
> Well, presumably you'd try to match hstore tags against the
> "columns" of the composite type, and where a tag didn't exist,
> return NULL,and where one isn't in the composite type, ignore it.
> All data would be TEXT.

The problem is more how to have the parser know which data type to
target, because you want to avoid having to create a new cast per each
composite type you want to target.

A solution could maybe look like this:
SELECT hstore_to_composite(hstore_value, null::my_composite_type);

Regards,
--
dim

from the IRC-to-List bridge dept ;)