Why do I need to pass value for Serial type in Insert/Update?

From: "Duffey, Kevin" <KDuffey(at)marketron(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Why do I need to pass value for Serial type in Insert/Update?
Date: 2003-09-12 19:22:25
Lists: pgsql-general

I don't know if jdbc/java code requires this, but when I use two gui admin tools I found, and I insert a row into the table using their row editor feature, both require me to enter a number for the Serial type. I thought this type was used to auto-increment an id field and that I would not need to enter anything into it? Basically we need the normal indexed ID field for each table, and we want it to auto-increment. The serial shows a function of nextVal() or something like that, so I assume it auto-increments, and it shows unique and not-null. Can someone explain how serial is used, why would I still need to pass a value for it?

Thanks.

---