Re: OS X library path issues for libpq (ver 8.3)

From: "Benjamin Reed" <rangerrick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Darren Weber" <darren(dot)weber(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OS X library path issues for libpq (ver 8.3)
Date: 2008-09-09 20:48:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Darren Weber
<darren(dot)weber(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Yeah, I also found that fink conflicts with macports. I do like the
> idea of using the Debian repository and package management system.
> For some reason, which escapes me now, I went with macports (maybe it
> was just that macports gave me an emacs.app - poor reason actually).
> Yet another "learning" curve for OSX. All this confusion makes me
> appreciate the beauty of Debian systems (eg, Ubuntu), with regard to
> package management. I hope all this mucking around with OSX is going
> to pay-off sooner or later.

Generally they co-exist fine at runtime, but if you're building in one
or the other, you should make sure it's counterpart is not enabled in
your shell.

That said, they're reasonably close to each other feature-wise, and
the best bet is to pick which one you're more comfortable with (BSD
ports style, or Linux/Debian style).

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick
Fink, KDE, and Mac OS X development