Re: Logical Replication WIP

From: Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: Logical Replication WIP
Date: 2016-09-18 20:17:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/08/2016 06:59 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> - the CREATE SUBSCRIPTION also tries to check if the specified
> connection connects back to same db (although that check is somewhat
> imperfect) and if it gets stuck on create slot it should be normally
> cancelable (that should solve the issue Steve Singer had)

When I create my subscriber database by doing a physical backup of the
publisher cluster (with cp before I add any data) then I am unable to
connect subscribe.
ie
initdb ../data
cp -r ../data ../data2
./postgres -D ../data
./postgres -D ../data2

This make sense when I look at your code, but it might not be what we want

I had the same issue when I created my subscriber cluster with
pg_basebackup (The timeline on the destination cluster still shows as 1)