Automatic index advisor?

From: Bill Karwin <bill(at)karwin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Automatic index advisor?
Date: 2010-02-27 00:02:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm writing a book on SQL, with a short section about query tuning and
automatic optimization advisors for different RDBMS platforms, for
instance, extensions to EXPLAIN that recommend new indexes based on
workload and query plans.

When I searched for a solution for PostgreSQL, Gurjeet Singh's name
came up as the designer of an index adviser patch for PG. But the
latest information I found was in 2007.

There's also a project at pgFoundry, but it's listed as in a planning
stage, and there are no releases.

Can I ask what's the status of this capability for PostgreSQL? Has it
become part of PostgreSQL 8.x or 9.0? I couldn't find any information
in the docs. Is there any value-add tool for EnterpriseDB?

If Gurjeet's patch is still under development, are there any other
tools currently available for PostgreSQL that provide this kind of
capability?

Regards,
Bill Karwin