Re: warm standby with WAL shipping

From: Erik Jones <ejones(at)engineyard(dot)com>
To: Geoffrey <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: warm standby with WAL shipping
Date: 2009-06-03 18:14:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jun 3, 2009, at 5:13 AM, Geoffrey wrote:

> Thank you Greg for taking the time to explain this as throughly as
> you have. I have found a logic problem in my code. I still don't
> know if we will use pg_standby as the wrapper code in PITRTools is
> python and we are not a python shop. Kinda want to stick with what
> we know (C, perl, shell). I'm certainly looking at rsync rather
> then scp, which really makes more sense.

pg_standby is in no way dependent on PITRTools. PITRTools is,
however, dependent on pg_standby. Put another way: you do not need
to use PITRTools to use pg_standby. In fact, you also don't need any
perl or shell scripts to use pg_standby, just use rsync directly in
the archive_command on the master and pg_standby in the
recovery_command on the standby. The wiki link Greg provided (http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Warm_Standby
) has all of the info needed to set things up manually.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability
866.518.9273 x 260