Re: warm standby with WAL shipping

From: Geoffrey <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com>
To: Erik Jones <ejones(at)engineyard(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: warm standby with WAL shipping
Date: 2009-06-03 18:43:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Erik Jones wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2009, at 5:13 AM, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Thank you Greg for taking the time to explain this as throughly as you
>> have. I have found a logic problem in my code. I still don't know if
>> we will use pg_standby as the wrapper code in PITRTools is python and
>> we are not a python shop. Kinda want to stick with what we know (C,
>> perl, shell). I'm certainly looking at rsync rather then scp, which
>> really makes more sense.
>
> pg_standby is in no way dependent on PITRTools. PITRTools is, however,
> dependent on pg_standby. Put another way: you do not need to use
> PITRTools to use pg_standby. In fact, you also don't need any perl or
> shell scripts to use pg_standby, just use rsync directly in the
> archive_command on the master and pg_standby in the recovery_command on
> the standby. The wiki link Greg provided
> (http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Warm_Standby) has all of the info
> needed to set things up manually.

Our current scenario is that we are archiving from machine A to machine
B. Our hot spare is machine C, thus we are pulling the files via
network from machine B to machine C, hence the reason I don't believe
db_standby will work as it has no facility (rsync,scp) to retrieve the
files from another machine.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

- Benjamin Franklin