Re: Slow tab completion w/ lots of tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow tab completion w/ lots of tables
Date: 2012-08-21 18:21:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So, I think that hacking on psql's query generation rules may well be
> a good idea, but shouldn't we also be bumping procost for the
> pg_whatever_is_visible functions? I mean, Stephen's information
> suggests that those values are pretty clearly wrong, regardless of
> anything else.

Yeah, I think we discussed that once before. I have no particular
objection to doing that in HEAD, just think it's a bit late for 9.2.
In any case, it will only help for medium-size numbers of entries;
once you get to enough tables/functions/whatever that a seqscan of the
catalog is bad news, only fixing the name matching is going to help.