Re: OT - (was Re: Data types mapping)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Doug Silver <dsilver(at)urchin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OT - (was Re: Data types mapping)
Date: 2003-04-10 18:49:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

Doug Silver <dsilver(at)urchin(dot)com> writes:
> That's what I thought too, but when I run the following perl script I get
> this:

> for (my $i=0;$i<@field_name;$i++){
> print "Field $field_name[$i] = $field_type[$i]\n";
> }

I dunno exactly how DBI defines {TYPE}, but the evidence here suggests
that it's got its own code numbers for certain common datatypes.
Probably DBD::Pg is converting the OIDs to DBI code numbers for types
that DBI defines a code for, and just returning the OID for everything
else. You'd have to look at the DBD::Pg code to be sure ...