Re: MySQL/InnoDB benchmarks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL/InnoDB benchmarks
Date: 2002-02-21 06:00:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Now, the InnoDB guys have done some benchmarks:

If I did some benchmarks comparing Postgres and MySQL, and they came out
in favor of PG, I'm sure the MySQL guys would cry foul --- and with good
reason, seeing that I have no clue how to configure MySQL optimally.
But we are supposed to consider their tests to be unbiased? Get real.

What really needs to be done here is a set of tests designed and
conducted by an *impartial* third party, with advice from experts in
each camp on how to properly configure their own DB. I haven't seen
any prospects for such a thing to happen, though. In the meantime,
I put no credence in MySQL-sponsored benchmarks, and I see no reason
for us to spend time generating our own equally-not-unbiased responses.

Let's get on with our development work rather than worrying about FUD.