Re: Indexes generated for primary key are not show

From: Ненашев Илья Николаевич <nashev(at)informcontact(dot)ru>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexes generated for primary key are not show
Date: 2016-05-18 17:09:20
Lists: pgadmin-support

I has wasted a lot of time today has trying to find my autogenerated
indexes for primary keys, which are not shown in PGAdmin III browser
tree, until write and execute
SELECT * FROM pg_indexes i WHERE i.tablename = <my table>;
end have seen a real state of things.

I expect from database admin tool to display clearly database objects
which are in database, without trying to hide some of them by some
ridiculous reasons like a executability of generated script.
Please DO NOT HIDE ANYTHING! When You hide something, I can't trust your
tool!

In SQL pane you can show DDL for object's like this inside a comment
brackets /* and */ with preamble inside 'This index are automatically
generated with constraint:'

In late answer to:

Because if any generated SQL contains both object, it will be an invalid
script, not to mention the fact that you cannot properly recreate
constraints just by recreating the indexes.
Constraint is something
logical, index is a way to implement it. When I 'connect' a
trigger to a table, there is trigger as a function, and
trigger usage for a table. Yes, index is more tightly
connected with its table, but in a case of a constraint it is
still an index but system-generated.
Yes, which is exactly why it's hidden - in the same way we hide the
rules that implement views.
And if it would be an option to show such indexes, such
duplication is not a problem at all - if you turn this option
on (it may be off by default), you know what you are doing
and know that some constraints may be duplicated as indexes.
There speaks someone who doesn't provide support on these lists :-)

It will be a problem. People would switch on such an option whilst
playing and forget about it. We would then get lots of emails.

Regards, Dave.
mailto:pgadmin-support%40postgresql.org?In-Reply-To=%3C03AF4E498C591348A42FC93DEA9661B889F234%40mail.vale-housing.co.uk%3E&Subject=Re%3A%20Indexes%20generated%20for%20primary%20key%20are%20not%20show
http://grokbase.com/p/postgresql/pgadmin-support/0429k5bc6j/indexes-generated-for-primary-key-are-not-show