Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)
Date: 2016-03-12 00:30:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/11/16 6:17 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Not sure about the cost delay thing. Delays are disabled by default
> for manually issued VACUUM, so have doubts that that's useful.

Right, but you still have the option to enable them if you don't want to
swamp your IO system. That's why CIC obeys it too. If I was running a
consistency check on a production system I'd certainly want the option
to throttle it. Without that option, I don't see running this on
production systems as being an option. If that's not a goal then fine,
but if it is a goal I think it needs to be there.

Isn't it just a few extra lines of code to support it?