Re: New competition from Microsoft?

From: Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht(at)8kdata(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New competition from Microsoft?
Date: 2016-03-07 22:41:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/03/16 23:32, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 03/07/2016 01:43 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> http://blogs.microsoft.com/?p=67248
>>
>> Once SQL Server is available on Linux, we're going to see more people
>> using it as an alternative to PostgreSQL. Especially since they're
>> picking up a lot of our better features, like R support.
>>

> Yes but:
>
> 1. MSSQL is not going to magically run well on Linux. It was never
> designed to run on a *NIX platform and it long left the parts that
> would (Sybase) in the dust.

I'd be surprised if it would *not* run well on Linux. Linux is an
easy platform to develop, it's fast and reliable and they have plenty of
time (till release).

> 2. This is actually good for us. It validates our primary deployment
> platform. Why run a closed source MSSQL when you can get Open Source
> PostgreSQL on the same platform major platform?

SQL Server seems to have some nice features that PostgreSQL don't
have. Encryption support and Hekaton (columnar-store "shared buffers")
come to my mind. It's definitely not a toy database, even less on Linux.

> 3. Competition is good when we have it, our community steps up.

Absolutely, competition is very welcome!

Álvaro

--
Álvaro Hernández Tortosa

8Kdata