proposal: LISTEN *

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: proposal: LISTEN *
Date: 2015-11-19 03:40:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I've in the past wanted to listen on all notification channels in the
current database for debugging purposes. But recently I came across
another use case. Since having multiple postgres backends listening for
notifications is very inefficient (one Thursday I found out 30% of our
CPU time was spent spinning on s_locks around the notification code), it
makes sense to implement a notification server of sorts which then
passes on notifications from postgres to interested clients. A server
like this would be a lot more simple to implement if there was a way to
announce that the client wants to see all notifications, regardless of
the name of the channel.

Attached is a very crude proof-of-concept patch implementing this. Any
thoughts on the idea?

.m

Attachment Content-Type Size
listen_star_poc.patch text/plain 7.7 KB