Re: 7.4 backpatches

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4 backpatches
Date: 2004-08-14 16:48:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Should be backport the 'fix acls on owner to' on tables to 7.4?

I'm inclined not to, as (a) it's a moderately complex change that hasn't
yet been tested to my satisfaction, and (b) AFAIR we've not had any
complaints from the field about it, even though the issue has existed
in some form for a long time.

Given (b), I don't think it's a serious enough problem to take any risks
of introducing new bugs.

Also, concerning point (a), I think that the patch interacts with 8.0
changes that we cannot backport, such as the removal of explicit
representation of owner grant options in ACLs. Any backport would be a
partial copying of 8.0 changes, and as such would have received no prior
testing whatsoever :-(