upgrade to 8.4 with new character set

From: "Kevin Duffy" <KD(at)wrinvestments(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: upgrade to 8.4 with new character set
Date: 2009-11-11 15:45:55
Lists: pgsql-general

________________________________

From: Jonathan Schindler
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:58 AM
To: Kevin Duffy

To those that know,

We originally built our database with a character set of SQL_ASCII. We
now know the error of our foolish ways. We are trying to upgrade to 8.4
and the windows binaries would like us to use UTF8. I would like to use
a backup to restore onto the new installation, however I am getting
warnings and errors about how I am trying to restore a SQL_ASCII
character set to a UTF8 Database. I need to have confidence that my
data is intact before I can continue with the upgrade. I was wondering
what would be the best course of action. I currently have the 8.4
database installed on a separate machine for testing.

Thank you for all your help

Jonathan Schindler