Re: Request for dogfood volunteers (was No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!)

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com, Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request for dogfood volunteers (was No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!)
Date: 2015-10-02 16:50:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/02/2015 09:41 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2015-10-02 09:28:02 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I am proposing to setup a redmine instance on a VM. I am happy to do a lot
>> of the legwork and should be able to get most of it done before EU. This is
>> what I think I need from my fellows:
>
> -1. This thread has already cost disproportionally much time and
> motiviation. Let's not wase more in doing two evaluations at the same
> time, when we might already be happy with one of them. We came pretty
> close to agreeing on debbugs in a couple past discussions so that seems
> the least unlikely choice to actually get adopted.

I once drove a manual all the time. I swore by the manual. I loved the
control, the feeling (ridiculously) that I was a race car driver on the
Urban track.

Then I got an automatic and realized how damn nice it was to not be in
control or have to worry about whether or not I should shift at 3k RPMS
or 4k RPMS. (Then I drove a manual on the wrong side of the road in
Ireland and was even happier that I prefer automatics)

We can't just point at something and say, "Oh that will work" because we
haven't tried to see how it is going to work with our requirements.

I wouldn't expect any customer to use postgresql because it has an
Elephant as a mascot. I expect them to use it because it is the best
choice for their requirements.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 503-667-4564