Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use gender-neutral language in documentation

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan *EXTERN* <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-committers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-committers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use gender-neutral language in documentation
Date: 2015-09-22 09:52:23
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 22/09/15 21:33, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> On 22 September 2015 at 09:28, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at
> <mailto:laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>>wrote:
>
> Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl
> <mailto:er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>> wrote:
> >> I think this compulsive 'he'-avoiding is making the text worse.
> >>

> >> - environment variable); any user can make such a change
> for his session.
> >> + environment variable); any user can make such a change
> for their session.
> >
> > -1. It seems fine to me.
>
> (Disclaimer: I am not a native speaker.)
>
> Using the pronoun of the third person plural as a replacement for
> "his or her"
> has become widely used, at least in the U.S., and the OED condones
> that use:
> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/they
>

> Without wanting to get into a grammar war, ​I'm not so sure I agree
> that it "condones" it. Dictionaries reflect the current state of
> usage, they don't act as arbiters of correctness. The abuse of
> "literally" as an emphasiser (which usage is now listed in the OED) is
> a prime example.
>
> As an Englishman ​I would prefer "his or her" over "their". Perhaps
> our American cousins might disagree though.
>
> WRT the second, it probably doesn't help that "might not be the same
> as the database user that is to be connect as" is incorrect anyway -
> it should perhaps be "that is to be connect*ed *as" (although I still
> find the construction clumsy).
>
> Geoff
I am an Englishman.

I prefer "their" rather than "his or her", it is less clumsy & there is
no point in specifying gender unless it is relevant!

Besides, some people are neither, or their biological gender is
ambiguous - so a few people fit into neither the male nor the female
category (depending on precise definitions, about 0.5%)!

Cheers,
Gavin