Re: Primary key

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Primary key
Date: 2007-09-19 15:26:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

--- Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu> wrote:

> Does postgres allow compound or composite keys for primary keys? I
> thought I read someplace that it didn't. Now, I can't find a
> reference to it.

It does. composite key are defined as a table constraint:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-createtable.html

This link illistrates syntax with this example:

CREATE TABLE films (
code char(5),
title varchar(40),
did integer,
date_prod date,
kind varchar(10),
len interval hour to minute,
CONSTRAINT code_title PRIMARY KEY(code,title)
);

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.