Re: Re: 9.5 release notes may need ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING compatibility notice for FDW authors

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: 9.5 release notes may need ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING compatibility notice for FDW authors
Date: 2015-05-28 08:20:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015/05/25 9:16, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> AddForeignUpdateTargets() actually won't be called with ON CONFLICT DO
> UPDATE, and so it isn't exactly true that the only obstacle to making
> FDWs support ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE is around inference of arbiter
> unique indexes on the foreign side. It's *almost* true, though.

I think that those are interesting problems. Wouldn't we need some
additional hacks for the core or FDW to perform an operation that is
equivalent to dynamically switching the ExecInsert/ExecForeignInsert
processing to the ExecUpdate/ExecForeignUpdate processing in case of a
conflict?

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita