Re: Run pgindent now?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Run pgindent now?
Date: 2015-05-27 21:45:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> And even if we got to the point where all commits should be perfectly
> pgindented, it wouldn't work, because under the current workflow the
> updated typedef list isn't available until after the commit (on an
> unpredictable schedule). (This problem would also affect pgindent in
> back branches.)

Up to date typedefs lists are available for all live branches all the
time. That's something I have enabled with a fairly modest investment of
time in response to this discussion. See
<http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/typedefs.pl?show_list> Of course,
there is a chicken and egg problem, but after all how many new typedefs
are there likely to be in a given backpatched item? ISTM new typedefs
are far more likely to appear from new development than from bug fixes.
At a pinch you could add some yourself manually.

cheers

andrew