Re: a few thoughts on the schedule

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: a few thoughts on the schedule
Date: 2015-05-13 16:36:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/13/2015 09:27 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 2015-05-13 11:52:40 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> One thing that continues to bother me about the commitfest process is that
>>> it's created a default expectation that things get committed eventually.
>
>> Agreed that this is a problem. I think we need to work on giving that
>> feedback rather sooner than later. It's one thing to be given a -1 a
>> week or two after a patch gets proposed, another being given it 10
>> revisions and half a year later.
>
>> How about we really try to triage the patches a) before the CF starts,
>> b) half into the CF?
>
> We keep talking about doing something like that (I remember it's come up
> several times in the annual developer meetings), and then not actually
> doing it. But I agree it seems like a good idea.

What if:

* Commitfest starts at branch.

* Accept new patches for 9.6 until X date

* At X date, tree is closed and patch review begins

* Patch review continues until all patches are committed, kicked or Y
date is met.

* At Y date, we go to Alpha

* At Z date, we go to Beta

Well crap, I ran out of sequence letters but you get the idea. In short,
no more ethereal "We kind of do this on this date sort of". Stick to it,
it may suck sometimes but it is really the only reasonable way to do it
anymore.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 503-667-4564