Re: fied separator change from the shell command line

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Edmund Bacon <ebacon-xlii(at)onesystem(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fied separator change from the shell command line
Date: 2005-03-14 06:21:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Edmund Bacon <ebacon-xlii(at)onesystem(dot)com> writes:
> paulo(dot)oliveira(at)engineer(dot)com writes:
>> I'm trying to change the usal "|" table field separator from the shell
>> command line:
>> psql -d ect -f pl_lost.sql -o pl_lost.out.txt -F "\t" -U asaadmin

> Changing the field separator only works with unaligned output. You
> need to add a -A to your command line switches (or --no-align). Doing
> this, though, drops the column headers.

There's a bit of a documentation issue I think: the psql reference page
doesn't point out that -F only affects unaligned output. You could find
that out by consulting the crossreferenced description of \pset fieldsep,
but it seems better to mention it under -F too. I've changed the
documentation accordingly in CVS HEAD.