Re: Object files generated by ecpg test suite not ignored on Windows

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Object files generated by ecpg test suite not ignored on Windows
Date: 2015-03-09 15:42:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/09/2015 11:31 AM, Michael Meskes wrote:
>>> Actually, if we are supporting toolchains that generate *.obj files,
>>> I'd expect the top-level .gitignore to ignore them, as it does *.o.
>>> But if that's the issue why have we not heard complaints before?
>> +1 for adding a top level .gitignore entry.
> I don't have a Windows system to test on, but how come these files were
> only created in the ecpg testsuite? With the global .gitignore not
> mentioning *.obj it appears those files are not created anywhere else.
> Is the build process different for the rest of the tree?

The MSVC build creates project directories which contain all the .obj
files etc. The file locations for intermediate artefacts are quite
different from the way a Unix build works. There is an ignore rule for
these directories, which covers the .obj files there. But ecpg files are
generated like in Unix builds. Since we have a global ignore rule for .o
files it makes plenty of sense to have one for .obj files also.
Certainly better than have one rule for each ecpg test case.

cheers

andrew