What do we need for new PUGs?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: What do we need for new PUGs?
Date: 2015-03-03 22:45:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Folks,

First, excuse the cross-posting; the reason for it will be come clear.

It has been the custom of the PostgreSQL project to give mailing lists
to new PostgreSQL User Groups (PUGs) for them to use to coordinate
meetings. Lately, though, it's become apparent that those lists are not
being used[1], and the sysadmin team is justifiably reluctant to create
lists which are dead-on-arrival.

So the question becomes: if what new PUGs need for infrastructure is not
new mailing lists, then what do they need?

Infrastructure we could possibly supply would include:

* Meetup.com accounts
* Google Apps/Calendar accounts
* Blog + RSS
* Mailing lists anyway
* Something else

If you currently run a PUG, used to run a PUG, or are thinking of
starting a PUG, please explain what online infrastructure would *really*
help you get the PUG started or run your existing PUG, and why. And
then we'll look at ways to supply that.

I'm especially looking for some feedback here from our *international*
audience; what works in the USA will be different from what works elsewhere.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/54F4CB31.6060505@kaltenbrunner.cc

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.