Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita
Date: 2015-02-21 14:39:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/21/2015 05:04 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

> Yes, that's a good point. I have zero desire to open-code a format
> though, I think that's a bad idea. We could say we just include
> Yaml::Tiny, that's what it's made for.

Personally, I think I would prefer that we use JSON (and yes, there's a
JSON::Tiny module, which definitely lives up to its name).

For one thing, we've made a feature of supporting JSON, so arguably we
should eat the same dog food.

I also dislike YAML's line oriented format. I'd like to be able to add a
pg_proc entry in a handful of lines instead of 29 or more (pg_proc has
27 attributes, but some of them are arrays, and there's an oid and in
most cases a description to add as well). We could reduce that number by
defaulting some of the attributes (pronamespace, proowner and prolang,
for example) and possibly infering others (pronargs?). Even so it's
going to take up lots of lines of vertical screen real estate. A JSON
format could be more vertically compact. The price for that is that JSON
strings have to be quoted, which I know lots of people hate.

cheers

andrew