Re: Abbreviated keys for Numeric (was: Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization))

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Abbreviated keys for Numeric (was: Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization))
Date: 2015-02-21 00:52:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21.2.2015 01:45, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Isn't this patch about adding abbreviated keys for Numeric data type?
>> That's how I understood it, and looking into numeric_sortsup.patch seems
>> to confirm that.
>>
>> There's another patch for Datum, but that's a different thread.
>
> Right...so don't test a datum sort case, since that isn't supported at
> all in the master branch. Your test case is invalid for that reason.

What do you mean by 'Datum sort case'? The test I was using is this:

create table stuff as select (random())::numeric as randnum
from generate_series(1,1000000);

select percentile_disc(0) within group (order by randnum) from stuff;

That's a table with a Numeric column, and a sort on that Numeric, no?

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/