Re: Hardware requirements for a PostGIS server

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Mathieu Basille <basille(dot)web(at)ase-research(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware requirements for a PostGIS server
Date: 2015-02-12 02:00:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/02/15 12:38, Mathieu Basille wrote:
[...]
>> [1] Start of the thread here:
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2015-February/040120.html
[...]

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2015-February/040134.html
[...]
* About usage being mostly read: this will be true for most "pure GIS"
tasks (mostly intersecting), but I find that (from experience), we
usually end up with a lot of intermediary tables for our analyses (new
tables for the most part, not new columns).
[...]

For greater performance of intermediary tables: if the these tables can
be easily recreated, then you might want to make use of PostgreSQL's
unlogged tables:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-createtable.html
[...]
CREATE [ [ GLOBAL | LOCAL ] { TEMPORARY | TEMP } | UNLOGGED ] TABLE
[ IF NOT EXISTS ] table_name ( [
[...]
UNLOGGED

If specified, the table is created as an unlogged table. Data
written to unlogged tables is not written to the write-ahead log
(see Chapter 29), which makes them considerably faster than ordinary
tables. However, they are not crash-safe: an unlogged table is
automatically truncated after a crash or unclean shutdown. The
contents of an unlogged table are also not replicated to standby
servers. Any indexes created on an unlogged table are automatically
unlogged as well.
[...]

Cheers,
Gavin