Re: dropping all databases and starting afresh

From: Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans(at)geograph(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dropping all databases and starting afresh
Date: 2015-02-04 11:23:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 02/04/2015 12:07 PM, Matheus de Oliveira wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans(at)geograph(dot)co(dot)za
> <mailto:zoltans(at)geograph(dot)co(dot)za>> wrote:
>
> neither:
>
> postgres(at)gs01:/etc$ pg_dropcluster –-stop 9.4 gisdata
> Usage: /usr/bin/pg_dropcluster [--stop] <version> <cluster>
>
> nor
>
> postgres(at)gs01:/etc$ pg_dropcluster –-stop 9.4 postgres
> Usage: /usr/bin/pg_dropcluster [--stop] <version> <cluster>
>
> works.
> I've done no createdb commands, so dopdb shouldn't be what I want
> for this cleanup (I'd think).
>

> If you copied+pasted the exact command you run, then no wonder it is
> wrong. If you look closer you are not calling "--stop", the first dash
> is another character (not minus/hyphen character). One is "EN DASH"
> with code 0xe28093 [1], while the correct one is "HYPHEN-MINUS" with
> code 0x2d [2].

AWESOME !!
Well spotted.
I must have copy&pasted it from one of the online pdf manuals.

In the end I just rm -rf'd the files, as suggested by others on this
list. I was initially concerned about that simple approach, as I figured
that many postgres conf files will still point to that deleted area -
but as postgres will not run again until I do an initdb -D command, it
(should) goes to follow that those conf files will then be correctly
updated.

Big thanks to all who contributed.

Kind regards,
Zoltan