Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions
Date: 2013-04-08 18:49:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Apr 3, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> My one question regarding policy is related to distribution. I do
>> agree with the evaluation criteria for choosing distributors, but my
>> question pertains to entities that could be classified as "critical
>> infrastructure" that use Postgres, e.g. utilities, hospitals, etc.
>> Though it is still up to the management of those entities to handle
>> the upgrades, I think it would be in their best interests to have a
>> critical security fix available to them so they have that opportunity
>> before it goes live.
>>
>> I also presume that these organizations receive their releases from
>> distributors - so if we were to enable such organizations to also
>> receive an early release, what would the policy be?
>
> There's a whole set of questions regarding early access to security
> updates which we're not yet ready to tackle, and may never be ready to
> tackle. This includes:
>
> - large commercial support vendors (e.g. SRA)
> - distributors of embedded Postgres (on devices) (e.g. Apple)
> - critical infrastructure users (e.g. the FAA)
> - large-scale end users with high security profiles (e.g. Enova)
>
> All of the above have legitimate, and sometimes compelling, reasons to
> need to be able to apply security updates in advance of them becoming
> public. Deciding who gets to be on an early notification list and who
> doesn't, while keeping the list small enough to not effectively make
> things public, will be very hard and potentially impossible. And
> ultimately we are a non-profit, volunteer project and can't devote 100
> full time staff to managing security disclosure the way Microsoft can.

Now that a few days have passed, I'd like to revisit this before too much time lapses.

(The link again for the security policy draft: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Security_Release_Policy_Draft)

Josh - I think your points are valid concerning the vetting of who would be included in early releases. I believe the best way to address who would be on that list is having a committee to vet those applications - I believe that is similar to how other OSS communities handle it. I do not think the amount of submissions for requesting early access would be so great that we would need a full-time team to maintain it, and I think most of us have a good idea already about which types of organizations truly would need an early access release.

With that said, if there are no overwhelming objections over the next 36 hours, I can submit a patch to our security policy on the website using the language that is in the wiki above.

Jonathan