Re: libpq pipelining

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Matt Newell <newellm(at)blur(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq pipelining
Date: 2014-12-04 14:30:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> A good API is crucial for this. It should make it easy to write an
> application that does pipelining, and to handle all the error conditions
> in a predictable way. I'd suggest that you write the documentation
> first, before writing any code, so that we can discuss the API. It
> doesn't have to be in SGML format yet, a plain-text description of the
> API will do.

I strongly agree.

Applications need to be able to reliably predict what will happen if
there's an error in the middle of a pipeline.

Consideration of implicit transactions (autocommit), the whole pipeline
being one transaction, or multiple transactions is needed.

Apps need to be able to wait for the result of a query partway through a
pipeline, e.g. scheduling four queries, then waiting for the result of
the 2nd.

There are probably plenty of other wrinkly bits to think about.