Re: BRIN and PageIndexDeleteNoCompact

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BRIN and PageIndexDeleteNoCompact
Date: 2014-11-18 19:54:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/18/2014 09:46 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> How about replacing PageIndexDeleteNoCompact() with something more like
>> PageIndexTupleDelete()? It ought to be both faster and simpler.
>
> No objection. Are you working on this, or do you intend me to?

You, please ;-).

> How relevant is this given your current PageRepairFragmentation work?
> I think it will cause hard merge conflicts if done right away; should it
> be attempted prior to the PRF patches, or after it's done? I assume
> that if you do it, you can do both things simultaneously ...

In my PageRepairFragmentation patch, I did refactor the common part of
PageIndexDeleteNoCompact to use the shared function. It'll look
completely different after it's rewritten to look more like
PageIndexTupleDelete, and won't have anything in common with
PageRepairFragmentation anymore, and won't really be any easier for me
to do as part of the PFR work. So don't wait for that, just go ahead and
make the change, whenever suits you.

- Heikki