Re: to_timestamp overloaded to convert from Unix epoch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: to_timestamp overloaded to convert from Unix epoch
Date: 2004-08-14 16:19:32
Lists: pgsql-patches

Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com> writes:
> On Aug 14, 2004, at 6:50 PM, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>> Maybe you don't need to override to_timestamp, and you can just add a
>> new code to the format string that to_timestamp understands, ie 'e' or
>> something or 'u' that means 'unix timestamp'?

> Are you thinking something like to_timestamp(200120400,'unix')?

I didn't see the point of that suggestion either. People who want to do
this conversion usually want to start with a number, not a string, so
it wouldn't be part of the existing to_timestamp function anyway.

There was however another patch submitted recently that seemed to
duplicate yours functionally but used a different syntax --- I think the
guy had started by looking at extract(epoch from timestamp) rather than
to_timestamp.