Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Hernandez <aht(at)ongres(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Gregory Brail <gregbrail(at)google(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output
Date: 2017-09-25 17:31:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/25/2017 10:19 AM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 25/09/17 18:48, Alvaro Hernandez wrote:
>>

>>     In my opinion, logical decoding plugins that don't come with core
>> are close to worthless (don't get me wrong):
>>

> I respectfully disagree.

As do I.

>> - They very unlikely will be installed in managed environments (an area
>> growing significantly).

Whether or not they are included in a managed environment is generally
based on two things:

1. Safety (why RDS doesn't allow certain C extensions)
2. Community/Popularity (Exactly why RDS has PostGIS)
A. Demand with a prerequisite of #1

>> - As anything that is not in core, raises concerns by users.

I find this a rather failing argument in today's market. If they are
willing to migrate to Postgres, they are more than likely willing to use
other open source software. Especially when combined with an expert
telling them to.

>> - Distribution and testing are non-trivial: many OS/archs combinations.

Yes, it is. Why would we want to increase that burden to this community?

Thanks,

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.us
***** Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own. *****