Re: SELECT Question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>, "Lada 'Ray' Lostak" <ray(at)unreal64(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SELECT Question
Date: 2003-11-20 17:45:51
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

> Kris Jurka wrote:
>> A useful generic function would be one something like range(min,max) that
>> would return a set of rows so you wouldn't have to actually have a table.

> You mean like this?

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test(int,int) RETURNS SETOF int AS '
> BEGIN
> FOR i IN $1..$2 LOOP
> RETURN NEXT i;
> END LOOP;
> RETURN;
> END;
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' STRICT IMMUTABLE;

I was thinking of proposing that we provide something just about like
that as a standard function (written in C, not in plpgsql, so that it
would be available whether or not you'd installed plpgsql). There are
some places in the information_schema that desperately need it ---
right now, the value of FUNC_MAX_ARGS is effectively hard-wired into
some of the information_schema views, which means they are broken if
one changes that #define. We could fix this if we had a function like
the above and exported FUNC_MAX_ARGS as a read-only GUC variable.