Re: DROP DATABASE always seeing database in use

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, "Postgres" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DROP DATABASE always seeing database in use
Date: 2008-08-04 15:42:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
>> Are any prepared transactions still open?

> Uh, yes, I did notice that but didn't put two and two together. That does make
> sense now that you mention it.

I've been bit by that too, and so have other people. Maybe it'd be
worth the trouble to improve the message so that it explicitly tells you
when there are prepared transactions blocking the DROP.

Another possibility is to let the DROP automatically roll back the
conflicting prepared xacts, but that seems a bit dangerous.