Re: Securing "make check" (CVE-2014-0067)

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Securing "make check" (CVE-2014-0067)
Date: 2014-03-01 22:51:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/01/2014 05:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> One other thought here: is it actually reasonable to expend a lot of effort
> on the Windows case? I'm not aware that people normally expect a Windows
> box to have multiple users at all, let alone non-mutually-trusting users.

As Stephen said, it's fairly unusual. There are usually quite a few
roles, but it's rare to have more than one "human" type role connected
to the machine at a given time.

I'd be happy doing nothing in this case, or not very much. e.g. provide
a password but not with great cryptographic strength.

> BTW, a different problem with the proposed patch is that it changes
> some test cases in ecpg and contrib/dblink, apparently to avoid session
> reconnections. That seems likely to me to be losing test coverage.
> Perhaps there is no alternative, but I'd like to have some discussion
> around that point as well.

Yeah. Assuming we make the changes you're suggesting that should no
longer be necessary, right?

cheers

andrew