Re: Full-text search default vs specified configuration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full-text search default vs specified configuration
Date: 2008-02-22 17:24:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> Would there be any support for two changes in 8.4 though?

> 1. Tag tsvector/tsquery's with the (oid of) their configuration?

> 2. Either warn or require CASCADE on changes to a
> configuration/dictionary that could impact existing indexes etc.

IIRC, the current behavior is intentional --- Oleg and Teodor argued
that tsvector values are relatively independent of small changes in
configuration and we should *not* force people to, say, reindex their
tables every time they add or subtract a stopword. If we had some
measure of whether a TS configuration change was "critical" or not,
it might make sense to restrict critical changes; but I fear that
would be kind of hard to determine.