Re: cannot find pg_hba.conf file

From: Hélder M(dot) Vieira <hmv(at)mail(dot)telepac(dot)pt>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cannot find pg_hba.conf file
Date: 2009-10-04 11:17:38
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi, I am new to Postgres, so if the question is to basic I apologize. I am
trying to migrate from SqlBase to Postgres.
I am trying to connect a windows XP station to a Postgres database on a
Server machine.
>I installed the psqlodbc-08.04.0100-1 on the workstation and configure it
>with the server, database, user and password, but when I test the
>connection
>I get "FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host...". However I can not find
>this
>file to add the entry. The psqlOBDC setup did not create this file. Where
>can
>I find this file in a Windows workstation , so I can add the entry and the
>ODBC
>driver can read it ?

You won't find it in the workstation.
The ODBC driver is just showing you a message it received from the server.
When the server noticed the connection attempt, it tried to check two
things:
- If the client IP fits into one of the IP ranges defined by the
administrator as acceptable;
- What kind of authentication method the administrator chose for that
specific IP range.

Upon installation, the pg_hba.conf file will be in the 'data' folder, and
will be suitable for local connections. For remote connections, you'll have
to edit it according to the rules defined in the Postgres documentation (
chapter 19.1 ).

Regards,

Helder M. Vieira