Re: 7.4RC2 regression failur and not running stats collector process on Solaris

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kiyoshi Sawada <sawa(at)nagoya2(dot)jrc(dot)or(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4RC2 regression failur and not running stats collector process on Solaris
Date: 2003-11-12 03:35:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kiyoshi Sawada <sawa(at)nagoya2(dot)jrc(dot)or(dot)jp> writes:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:18:48 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> So why not? Try looking in the postmaster log for errors related to
>> stats collector startup. (pstat is irrelevant, btw.)

> LOG: could not bind socket for statistics collector: Cannot assign requested address

Hmm ... that's sure the problem, but what can we do about it? ISTM that
any non-broken system ought to be able to resolve "localhost". Actually
it's worse than that: your system resolved "localhost" and then refused
to bind to any of the IP addresses it had resolved. Look at the logic
in pgstat_init() in src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c. I think this
suggests a misconfiguration in your system ... but if you can suggest a
more robust way of setting up that connection, I'm all ears ...